Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Day Seven

Tuesday:
I have to admit, I am rather surprised at how often I have been updating! This is not like me! Last night was officially my first night to sleep nearly all the way through the night! It felt so nice to wake up this morning and to realize I didn't wake up for hours in the middle of the night! This morning was pretty relaxing. The girls a few days ago went down to the park and saw a bird fly out of a bush where we later realized there was a nest with a few red eggs in it. With that said, today I took the girls down to the park to see if we could get a closer look at the momma bird so we can find out what kind of bird and eggs they are. We have gotten a few pictures of the eggs (red with black specks on them and very small!) but we cannot manage to get a good picture of the momma bird. However, it does have a red head... Anyways, so I went to the park with the girls and one of their favorite things to do is swing. Bekah can swing on her own, but Sarah needs someone to keep her going so my job quickly became the pusher. However, in addition to pushing Sarah you are required to sing songs to her so tonight I will be doing some research into songs I used to sing as I child... I can hardly remember any! Shortly after the park we came up and read book, after book, after book! They LOVE to read! Stephany and I got to sit down for a while and she was able to walk me through the English program for my lessons this afternoon. It is a really neat curriculum. You take different objects such as people of different ages, different house hold items, animals, etc. and state "This is Grandma" you then proceed to repeat that sentence several times and then you would ask "Where is Grandma?" and slowly add different objects and continue to repete it over and over. I was so excited to begin teaching English! I went into the lessons today thinking that 1. I was only teaching on girl and 2. that I was teaching a girl that knew no English what so ever. Well as it turns out, I am working with two girls but have the privilege of having a girl in there to translate for me when needed and also they know some English! This is so exciting to me because I am going to actually get to form relationships with them! The two girls I am teaching are 16 and 17 and my translator is 13. They are all so sweet and I cannot wait to begin having conversations with them! I will be meeting with them for two hours each day until next Friday (except Saturday and Sunday) if all goes as planned! All the girls I am working work (including the translator) are living in a rehabilitation home. The two I am teaching are in their due to rape and I am not sure why the other girl is.. It is so sad, but very neat that this family has decided to start such a large home. Within the center there is school, church, rooms for the children staying there, etc.
After lessons I came back to the house and got to relax a little bit until dinner. After dinner Stephany, Bekah, Sarah and I went next door and got to visit some more with the neighbors. I love getting to go and just sit with them! It is just really neat to hear about their traditions. She was telling us tonight about what all Hindus wear in order to demonstrate that they are married. Here they have several things: toe rings, a long gold necklace with charms at the end, a nose ring, earrings and the dot above the nose. Wow! I couldn't imagine!
One last thing to share! Today I got to experience my first motorcycle ride! What an experience! I was a little nervous at first since the driving here is just crazy to begin with, but it turned out fine! For now that will be my transportation to the center to teach English, but at some point I may switch to taking an "auto" which is a 3-wheeled car that has no doors. It is kind of like a really mini taxi.

I am so excited and grateful that I am getting to spend a month of my summer here in India. It is unlike any other mission trip I have had the opportunity to go on and I am so grateful that God has chosen to let me be a part of His work here! 

3 comments:

  1. I was waiting for this! So glad I checked on my lunch break! This sounds like so much fun. And how great that the girls know a little bit of English already :) thanks for sharing Kaylie. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Whitney, I think I am all done. It was my only transportation to and from English classes for a while, but Tony has been taking me when I am needing to go now! So no worries any more. :) Something I would never do again!

      Delete